I am new to the Harry Potter-verse and just finished book 1 (Sorcerer’s Stone). I successfully survived reading it without breaking any of my daughter’s rules for reading her book.
It was a quick and fun read. However, I could understand why my husband gave up on the series after the first installment. It almost felt like a “tease” in a way. My main criticism is that it doesn’t delve into the richness I know is there (because I’ve heard so much about it and seen some of the movies). My husband, reading the book over a decade ago, wouldn’t have really had that sort of insight of the upward momentum of the series.
Given my main issue is the first book leaves a lot unexplored, I guess it’s a good thing there are many more books to read.
Now, let me be clear. I enjoyed the book. I definitely never found myself regretting my decision to read it and found it hard to put down. It also has several very poignant, funny and clever quotes and lines.
Therefore, to celebrate finishing the first book and kicking off my introduction into the world of Harry Potter, here are my Top 10 favorite quotes from the first book!
- “Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.”
- “Always the innocent are the first victims, so it has been for ages past, so it is now.”
- “There are some things you can’t share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.”
- “Ah, music,” he said, wiping his eyes. “A magic beyond all we do here!”
- “I hope you’re pleased with yourselves. We could all have been killed – or worse, expelled.”
- “I tell you, that dragon’s the most horrible animal I’ve ever met, but the way Hagrid goes on about it, you’d think it was a fluffy little bunny rabbit.”
- “Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!”
- “Love as powerful as your mother’s for you leaves it’s own mark. To have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever.”
“Hermione was the last person to do anything against the rules, and here she was pretending she had, to get them out of trouble. It was as if Snape had started handing out sweets.”
- “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that.”