So, I need a little levity in my life right now. Therefore, I decided to try something new. I’m calling it T-shirt Tuesday. My husband probably has hundreds of t-shirts with funny, ironic sayings or pictures on them. I’m going to use those to draw inspiration for my Tuesday blogs, or at least I’m going to try.
Ready? Today’s inspiration is… ta da!!
That’s right, my first T-shirt Tuesday inspiration has to do with sarcasm. (I know what you’re thinking – Oh, sooo original. Are you thinking it sarcastically though? I wonder.)
Sadly, I’m a month too late on this. October was National Sarcastic Awareness Month. (It’s just tragic to have missed it.)
But, here’s the important takeaway – sarcasm is so amazing they devoted an entire month to it! Take that kindness, you only got one day.
We all know sarcasm when we hear it, but do you know what it actually means? Have you ever looked it up? (Of course I did, don’t be an ridiculous. ;))
Sarcasm: the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
Sarcasm even has it’s own society! Literally called the Sarcasm Society.
Yes, they could have done better on that name. (Again, kindness, you’re showing how lame you are. You don’t have a society. ) And, are you sitting down for this? There are studies looking at how sarcasm relates to intelligence. Spoiler: more sarcasm = higher intelligence. (If this is true, I come from a family of super geniuses.)
Not only does my husband have t-shirts on sarcasm (yes, that’s plural), we also have things like the this (see picture) in our house. This one is in my kitchen.
If you’ve read The Travelers, you already realize that my predilection for sarcasm made it’s way into my writing.
In honor of just missing National Sarcastic Awareness Month, I’d like to help raise your awareness of the beauty of all things obnoxious and sarcastic by highlighting some of my favorite sarcastic quotes from The Travelers.
- Marc and Jillian talking on the front stoop:
- Jillian: Wait. Seriously, what are you doing here?
- Mark: Well. (Pulls out wallet.) I live here. Yep, it says so on my license. See?
- Marc and Jillian on the phone:
- Jillian: What’s up, stupid.
- Marc: Love you too.
- Marc and Dagny’s first meeting:
- Dagny: You seem older.
- Marc: I’ll be 17 in the next few days.
- Dagny: Oh yes, well, clearly that explains it.
- Marc and Dagny at the movies:
- Dagny: All of this for Fright Night?
- Marc: Oh, come on. It’s a classic.
- Dagny: Oh yeah, it rivals the Godfather.
- Marc: I’m sorry, is Fright Night not classy enough for you?
- Marc and Jillian when Marc returns from his Grandmother’s house:
- Marc and Jillian’s Mom: Jillian, why don’t you offer your brother a drink? Or a sandwich?
- Jillian: Yeah, I’ll get right on that. (She stays firmly draped over the chair like an old black, holey blanket.)
And just for fun, here are some random, fun sarcastic quotes. Feel free to use them, but only appropriately. I won’t stand for misused sarcasm. That is sacrilege.
- I wasn’t lying, I was just writing fiction with my mouth.
- Think I’m Sarcastic? Watch Me Pretend To Care!
- Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.
- Please be patient, I’m messing things up as fast as possible.
- If you’re cooler than me, would that make me hotter than you?
- If you don’t want a sarcastic answer, don’t ask a stupid question.
And, for even more fun, here are some more in meme form. Hopefully, they brighten your day a little.